“That doesn’t go in the potty!”

Do you ever wake up and know you’re in for a horrible day before you even open your eyes?

Here’s what I heard this morning before I even got out of bed.

“Claire, that doesn’t go in the potty!”

As if those words weren’t frightening enough to propel my feet toward the ground at lightening speed, the next words sent me into a pure panic.

“No! My binkie!”

Yep. Binkie. In the potty.

I have no idea how it happened. I’m pretty sure I don’t want to know.

You may have read last week about how I’ve been struggling with the decision to take away Claire’s pacifiers. While I’ve been reluctant to do so, I have been taking steps toward life without the bink.

I keep it away from her most of the day, and pull it back out at bedtime or for car rides. I also made the decision to stop buying more. For some reason, binkies go missing more often than anything else in this household, so I was buying a new pack fairly frequently.

Just yesterday, I had to do a mad dash around the house to find a binky for a rare nap. That search revealed the fact that we are quite possibly down to our last one.

That’s right, folks. Our last pacifier is in the toilet.potty binky pic

Well, it’s not there now. I fished it out and threw it away when she wasn’t looking. No amount of sterilizing is ever going to make that one usable again!

So here’s my dilemma.

Are we done? Are we out of binkies forever? Or do I head to Target immediately?

We’ve all been sick this week, and we’re all incredibly cranky. Claire is worse off than the rest of us because she woke up yesterday with a lovely case of pink eye on top of everything else.

I can’t imagine a worse time to do this.

I’m going to try it, though. Any takers on how long before I cave?

***UPDATE***

Claire asked for a binky for about four hours before she stopped. I assumed (big mistake) she had lost interest, until she walked into the kitchen with one in her mouth and one in her hand.

Evidently, she has a secret stash somewhere that I didn’t know about, and yesterday’s crisis meant it was time to dip into that stash. Desperate times call for desperate measures, you know?

Last night, we rearranged her bedroom in an effort to thwart the ongoing bed battle, and while moving furniture found two more.

She now has a healthy supply of four binkies (at least).

I guess the binky battle will be continued another day.

Claire -1, Mommy – 0.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tagged: , ,

Comments: 14

1. Tonya Humrichouser 1 February, 2013 at 10:46 am Reply

I think you should run with the fact that the binki is gone….that may have been the sign to tell you!!! Good luck

2. Sarah 1 February, 2013 at 11:39 am Reply

That’s exactly how my Sean gave it up. He had 1 left and he lost it. It was NOT a good time…not that there would have been a better one though as he was very attached to it. I refused to cave and I was blown away when the nagging and crying only lasted 1 night. Seriously- 1! he asked for it for about a week, but it was never the same breakdown as it was that first night. I think he was almost proud of himself when he woke up and realized that he actually did sleep without it. I say stick with it. Prepare for bedtime to be yucky… but stick with it.

3. Kristi - Finding Ninee 1 February, 2013 at 7:59 pm Reply

Oh gosh, good luck. We never did the binkie (I was totally planning on it and had the most adorable “TTYL” one but the hospital my son was born in refused them and so he never got attached. But I feel ya – we are having a heck of a time weaning the night-time bottle. When we last tried, my son just refused all milk. For 8 days. We tried different cups, glasses, sippy cups – everything and finally caved. Sigh.

• admin 1 February, 2013 at 10:47 pm Reply

Lucky you never having a binkie! They’re great to have, but not so great to give up. Don’t feel bad about the bottle. I had my girls both off the bottle at daytime by about 13 months, but my youngest was still taking one at night until she was probably 18 or 19 months! ;-)

4. Jenny @ Creatively Blooming 3 February, 2013 at 12:48 pm Reply

Our daughter left her pacis for the Paci Fairy. Then the Paci Fairy brought her a toy. Two days later, she told me that the Paci Fairy could have the toy back – she wanted her pacis! I held out though, and she didn’t ank for them again. But on the flip side, she did give up her nap because she’s “a big girl now”.

• admin 3 February, 2013 at 9:28 pm Reply

I’ve heard of the Paci Fairy. She may have to visit us, too! Sorry about the naps – you win some, you lose some!

• titus2homemaker 7 February, 2013 at 10:57 am Reply

haha; I did the same thing as a little girl! We didn’t have the “paci fairy,” but my dad offered me a big-girl toy (a red kite, I think) in exchange for my “googie,” and I wanted to trade back at the end of the day.

What is it with things like binkies that they disappear into the black depths of a house? (My current littlest one doesn’t use a paci, but her bottles vanish like that. She’ll have had it 2 minutes prior, and poof – gone!) Those and pens and hair clips.

5. Joyce 3 February, 2013 at 6:55 pm Reply

If Claire is a toddler, I think you’re okay to buy her a new one; however, if she’s a teenager, it’s time to give it up. :)

• admin 3 February, 2013 at 9:25 pm Reply

Claire is two! ;-)

6. Shelley 4 February, 2013 at 8:58 am Reply

We got rid of the paci’s when my kids turned 2. My daughter was easy, since she never really cared for it much anyway. My son on the other hand like his alot, mostly for bedtime/naptime. We talked about getting rid of it for awhile….we picked is b-day as the day for no more paci’s. He took it pretty well…cried a bit the first night…then we were good to go. One thing the helped…..a few weeks before is b-day he got a pretty bad cold…he actually gave me his paci and said ‘can’t breathe with this’. So he had a few nights without it…….guess it eased him into life without his paci! There are lots of ways to get rid of it….but when your ready….I’d say cold turkey is the way to go. Good luck!

7. Nikki 5 February, 2013 at 7:28 am Reply

Oh my goodness that is too funny! I’m so glad to know that you chucked the potty binky. :) It sounds like Claire is a smart kiddo-in case of emergencies, she’s got the binky! I’m visiting from Naptime Review’s Monday Mingle,
    Nikki
    rushedmommy.com

8. Tracy 8 February, 2013 at 11:02 am Reply

HAHAHA! That is too funny. I love the fact that she had her own stash of binkies!

9. dfgcdg 10 February, 2013 at 7:32 pm Reply

That is so cute. I think Zeva has a stash of pacifiers stashed away as well too, but has yet to go get them yet. I personally have let all my kids wean themselves off it, and amazingly it’s always been done by the time they were 2. I hope Zeva follows suit.

10. Christy (@upliftingfam) 11 February, 2013 at 9:00 pm Reply

I am trying to wean my son off of the paci as well. He hasn’t thrown any in the potty or in the trash can. However, he did throw his sippy cup away the other day into the trash can. Luckily his older brother saw it and dug it out of the trash.