I’m not a bad mom

This post may ruffle some feathers, but I’m going to write it anyway.

I read an article over on Babble the other day that just kind of struck a chord with me. It was called “Are you guilty of thinking any of these 5 unhealthy foods are actually good for your toddler?

Basically, it was a Babble writer’s attempt to tear down the confidence of many moms out there who felt good about making healthy decisions for their children.

The foods that made their list were whole milk, applesauce, whole grain cereal, pretzels and yogurt.

Really?

I know whole milk has a lot of fat, but it’s certainly better than a glass of Kool-Aid. Are you really going to try and make me feel guilty because I gave my kid a bowl of applesauce instead of ice cream?

The worst argument was for the pretzels. They basically said, “There’s not really anything wrong with pretzels, but we think you can try harder.”

Give me a break, guys!

I love my kids more than anything. Their health is very important to me. Of course I want to feed them foods that are healthy! Still, in my house full of picky eaters, there are days when getting them to choke down a single chicken nugget is a major victory. I think if I only served food recommended in articles like that one, my kids would never eat at all. Also, I probably wouldn’t have this blog because I’d never get out of the kitchen.

Like a lot of moms out there, I do my best. We go sparingly on the juice. I make their sandwiches on whole wheat bread, never white. We usually do applesauce instead of pudding. I buy the low-fat yogurt. I make most of our snack foods myself, and I try to cook from scratch as often as I can.

Still, my kids do eat candy. I buy cereal with cartoon characters on the box, and every now and then we have lunch at (gasp!) McDonalds. That does not make me a bad mom. I’m getting sick of hearing that it does.

There has got to be some wiggle room. No one is perfect, and we’re not all Wonder Woman.

What do you think? Do you agree that some standards for feeding kids today are a little ridiculous? Or am I completely wrong on this one? Go ahead and tell me…I can take it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tagged: , , , , ,

Comments: 22

1. Me 21 January, 2013 at 7:46 pm Reply

Doesn’t ruffle my feathers, honestly, it sounds like someone wanted to take a crap on someone’s day. That is one of the (many) reasons I rarely read any of the parenting sites…I can make myself feel guilty, I don’t need anyone else’s help.

• admin 21 January, 2013 at 8:39 pm Reply

I know, right? We all have enough mommy guilt all on our own!

2. Melissa 21 January, 2013 at 8:02 pm Reply

Didn’t ruffle my feathers either! Just from reading this post, I get the feeling you are a great mom. And great moms do the best they can for their kids and that changes all the time depending on the unique circumstances … because life happens!

• admin 21 January, 2013 at 8:38 pm Reply

Thanks so much for saying that! ;-)

3. Sarah 21 January, 2013 at 8:36 pm Reply

The timing of this is so funny. I was at the grocery store last night and I saw this mother from preschool that my husband and I call “fancy mom”. She is always dressed perfectly, is very tall, very made up, very fit, and VERY vocal about being healthy and organic and blah blah blah. Well, not only was fancy moms son throwing an awesomly loud tantrum, but in between her bunches of organic kale and all that tasty stuff lay about 10 boxes of generic macaroni and cheese. I had to chuckle because that is exactly that type of thing she publicly turns her nose up at.

• admin 21 January, 2013 at 8:37 pm Reply

Oh my goodness, I just laughed out loud, really! It’s scenes like that that just make your day, right?

4. marie 21 January, 2013 at 8:56 pm Reply

That Babble article ruffled my feathers! My kids are very active and very thin and I purposely feed them full-fat dairy products. Sometimes I feel like a hypocrite cause I let my kids have frosted flakes for breakfast, but then I feed them organic apples and broccoli. But, then I get over it. I’m doing the best I can. The funny thing about McDonalds is now they give apples in the happy meals because of so much pressure to offer healthier options, but my kids won’t eat them because they have something on them to keep them fresh. We go through about 3 apples a day at home.

• admin 21 January, 2013 at 8:58 pm Reply

Exactly! My kids are two and three, and they still drink whole milk. They’re both tiny and they need the fat! My kids don’t like the McDonalds apples either (they are pretty gross), but they eat plenty of them here.

5. Beth 21 January, 2013 at 10:11 pm Reply

I totally am guilty of ALL these things and I know I’m not a bad mom.

The AAP recommends whole milk and yogurt, so those two are stupid. Kids don’t need low fat. *SMH* Adults do because we eat too much fat elsewhere and can’t afford any fat in milk.

(http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/feeding-nutrition/Pages/Sample-One-Day-Menu-for-a-One-Year-Old.aspx?nfstatus=401&nftoken=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&nfstatusdescription=ERROR%3a+No+local+token)

The only other drink choice my kids have is water. So it balances out.
    AND if they did have a soda sometimes it wouldn’t hurt, (and here’s my qualifier) AS LONG AS THERE IS DIALOGUE WITH THE SODA.
    Here’s my script with (insert nasty not good food choice):
    Hey (kid’s name here) do you want (not good food choice)?
    Kid: Isn’t that not good for me?
    Me: Yes, but when we always make healthy choices with our meal, then it’s ok to have a SOMETIME choice. A sometime choice is something not so healthy but that is fun or yummy but NOT good grow food for our bodies. SO it’s ok this one time, but only because we make healthy choices all the other times.
    Literally my kids hear this at every meal:
    (Blank) is for breakfast/lunch/dinner, what is your healthy choice? Has to be a fruit with breakfast and lunch and a veggie choice for lunch and dinner.

I don’t go to Mcdonalds to eat healthy, I eat healthy all the time so I can SOMETIMES go to Mcdonalds and cram a Big Mac and fries!

You rock Whit!
    -Beth
    aka Food nazi…

• admin 21 January, 2013 at 10:13 pm Reply

Amen, Beth! You’ve got to have those treats SOMETIMES!

6. Serena 21 January, 2013 at 10:12 pm Reply

I wonder how many children does the author of the article have!Stopping by from Aloha Friday and I am now your newest follower. I look forward to a long blog relationship with you and can’t wait to see what you come up with next!

xx
    Serena

• admin 21 January, 2013 at 10:13 pm Reply

Welcome! And I wondered that, too! ;-)

7. Evelyn @ My Turn for us 22 January, 2013 at 9:55 pm Reply

LOL!!! Love this:) After raising 3 kids (oldest 35 and youngest 23) I have learned that you suggest and try to do as good as you can that particular day (can’t always do the best your can every day of your life, thats a high reach:) and you put your fingers in your ears because what is right for your kids is exactly what you are doing:)
    And Life should be enjoyed not endured. Enjoy Mc Donalds and then enjoy the park. You will remember Mc Donalds and the park not the oatmeal etc…

Live life!!! Enjoy!!

• admin 22 January, 2013 at 10:02 pm Reply

Thank you! “Put your fingers in your ears” is some of the best advice I’ve gotten so far! ;-)

8. Kathi 24 January, 2013 at 12:08 pm Reply

As the “Meemaw” to those beautiful little girls, may I say you are a wonderful mother and I am so proud of you!

9. Kirra Antrobus 24 January, 2013 at 9:53 pm Reply

Really if we avoided everything that might be bad for us, we’d hardly eat anything at all, and like you said, be stuck in the kitchen all day!

I’m here from the almost Friday Thursday blog hop.

10. Katherine 25 January, 2013 at 8:25 am Reply

Thanks for posting your post (hmmm…no coffee yet) on FB or I would have missed it. My kids are consuming cereal with whole milk as we speak! There are so many writers who just write articles to get a rise out of people. Lame. I like your advice about fingers in ears!

11. Brandy 25 January, 2013 at 10:40 am Reply

Those ingredients (whole milk and such) are the things I actually feel good about giving my kids! It’s the other stuff like cookies that I tend to feel guilty about (and only rarely at that!). So I totally agree–give us a break! Seriously! I know my mother didn’t spend a lot of time worrying about the fat intake of the food she served me as a child, and I’m healthy and productive.

12. Kristi 25 January, 2013 at 11:31 pm Reply

Babble is slowly becoming my least favorite go to regarding articles about parenting. I’m lucky to have kids that love their veggies…a lot but damn if I won’t reach for pretzels, yogurt and hot dogs when I’m overwhelmed. They eat and I can always create something healthier for their next meal. It’s all about balance. Haters are gonna hate. I’m a bitchin mom. No amount of food guilt will change that.
    Thank you for writing this!!

• admin 26 January, 2013 at 9:45 am Reply

I used to really like Babble, but they are becoming very judgmental these days. That’s the last thing any mama needs!

13. Holly Petrie 28 January, 2013 at 9:48 am Reply

I stopped reading babble awhile ago. They have some cute stuff here and there but to much sarcasm and just outright rude articles.